How do you feel when you meet someone fascinating online? Twitter love is the story of a young lady who has little or no interest in social media engagement but eventually joins the Twitter world only to realize that it would have been better if she remained the way she was.
..............................................................................
THE BEGINNING
Life has not always been a bed of roses to me, I was stuck in between my own desire of peace and trying to give myself a comfortable life, I was a teacher, I taught in a school not distant from where I lived. I loved and concentrated on my job, not because of the amount been paid for my services which were not in any way enough to fend for myself alone, I loved my job because it gives me the chance to express myself in the best way that I can so as to impart knowledge to the kids I teach. I lived with my Aunt and her two children, My Aunt husband lives in another state, despite how well he pleaded with her to relocated with him, My aunt insisted that she would stay here in Lagos where she owned a grocery store at the downside if Ikotun than move to Kano she considered it to degrading, so they agreed to live separately while he comes down to Lagos anytime he gets the chance to.
Back to me, My name is Enitan and I was a young girl of 23 years, I was never a social media freak the only social media app I was on was Facebook and Whatsapp, I hardly logged into my Facebook account because I never had a reason to I only make use of Whatsapp as it aids my communication with my small circle of friends which were mainly from work and perhaps the people I knew from way back who still kept in touch with me.
A day came in the staff room where my colleagues were having a hot discussion which turned out to be an argument, I work into the staff room wondering what the problem could be to warrant such hot argument amidst them, I tried not to pay attention to them though because all I wanted to do was to grade the assessment test I gave my students, I latter got distracted when one of my colleagues asked "Enitan are you on twitter?"
The room became quiet when the question was asked, I looked around the room and I saw everyone's attention was on me, that meant I definitely must give an answer to the question, so I replied
"No, I'm not"
I could hear someone laugh, another said "Really" other responses were like "At this age and time who isn't on twitter". Shade who asked the question said
"No wonder you acted like what we were talking about doesn't concern you" Elizabeth that was sitting beside her added
"See babe, you need to wake up and get involved with what's happening in the world". The most annoying comment came in from Sandra who has always been a hater
"Don't mind her, she is so backward, old woman" And everyone laughed at what she said
I felt really embarrassed, maybe I made a mistake giving an answer to the question in the first place, I couldn't defend myself but what if I say something else and I get worse despising words from them, I don't think I think would be able to endure that, so all I did was to walk out of the staff room without looking back I could hear Sandra's mockery laughter and Shade telling her that she went too far with what she said. My journey back home from work was kind of lonely, I thought of the event that happened during the day, I have never felt so embarrassed just because of the silliest thing has not been a part of the twitter world, I thought about how I was laughed at and got really angry at myself for not having anything to do or say about it, Sandra's words kept ringing in my head "She's so backward, She's so backward........"

Enitan coming back from work
"These people made a fool out of me today", with a sad smile I said, "I'm going to join twitter today".


2 comments:
Very interesting
I like your story
Post a Comment